Bellingham is the only port in Washington State providing year round weekly ferries to and from Alaska.
The Port of Bellingham is no longer a departure port for any ferry to Victoria BC Canada or to San Juan Island.
There is a popular ferry service to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island which provides a fabulous whale watching adventure and is an enormously popular day trip.
You can also stay in Friday Harbor for the night (or longer if you wish) and return to Bellingham at a later date.
Quick Ferry Facts
- The Bellingham ferry to Alaska carries both foot passengers and vehicles. The Alaska ferries can accommodate a maximum vehicle length of 70 feet & a maximum height of 13'. Click here for RV & motor home information.
- Ketchikan is the 1st stop for ferries to Alaska from Washington. Ketchikan is a 2 day ferry trip from WA.
- The Bellingham to Haines ferry is a 3 day ferry trip.
- Driving from Haines Alaska to Anchorage Alaska involves entry into Canada so passports are absolutely required.
-To avoid Canada, one can take the seasonal April to September ferry from Bellingham to Whittier, Alaska
-The Bellingham ferry to Friday Harbor & Victoria was discontinued in 2011.
-The closest ferry service from Bellingham to Victoria is now thru Vancouver BC- about 40 minutes N on I-5
- There are currently no ferries travelling between Bellingham & Victoria
- There is no Bellingham ferry to Seattle, and no Bellingham ferry to Vancouver
- Reservations for the Bellingham ferry to Alaska must be made well in advance to ensure space.
Located just 30 minutes south of the US / Canada Peace Arch border and 90 minutes north of Seattle, Bellingham is a wonderful place to visit even if not catching a ferry to Alaska.
Challenging golf courses, antique shops, galleries, great shopping, fabulous hotels, Inns and B&Bs all contribute to make scheduling time in Bellingham worthwhile.
Note that reservations are required for all ferries departing from Bellingham to to Alaska. Bellingham ferries to Victoria BC have been discontinued.
General Information: Land - Sea - Air
Info for RVs / Campers:
Travelling to Alaska by ferry
Bellingham to Alaska by ferry
Avis is located at both the Bellingham- Alaska ferry terminal & at the Bellingham airport
Daily coach service providing frequent scheduled trips to/from downtown Seattle and Sea-Tac Airport
Dedicated to responsible wildlife viewing this 3hr narrated tour uses certified coast guard vessels
Bellingham ferry passengers bound for the Alaska cities of Anchorage, Fairbanks or Denali can shorten their drive time by taking the direct ferry from Bellingham to Whittier or Bellingham to Ketchikan or Juneau and then transferring to a Cross-Gulf ferry to Cordova, Whittier or Valdez