Served traditionally by 2 separate ferry systems, Bellingham is the only port in Washington State serving the year-round weekly ferries to and from Alaska.
The Port of Bellingham is no longer a departure port any ferry to Victoria BC Canada.
However the popular ferry service to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island has now been converted to a fabulous whale watching excursion adventure and is an enormously popular day trip.
You can also stay in Friday Harbor for the night (or longer if you wish) and return to Bellingham at a later date
It is hoped that one day the Bellingham - Victoria ferry service will return- but the Management says that will depend on more US travellers carrying passports, which are now necessary to cross any border.
Quick Ferry facts
- Ferries to Alaska carry both foot passengers and vehicles ( Max length 70'; max height 13' ) Click here for RV & motor home information.
- Ketchikan ( a 2 day trip) is the 1st stop for ferries to Alaska from Washington
- Bellingham WA to Haines Alaska is a 3 day ferry trip
- Driving from Haines Alaska to Anchorage Alaska involves entry into Canada so passports are required
-The Bellingham ferry to Friday Harbor has been discontinued
-The Bellingham to Victoria ferry discontinued service in 2011 so the closest ferry service to Victoria is now thru Anacortes or Vancouver
- There are currently no ferries travelling between Bellingham & Victoria
- There is no ferry service Bellingham to Seattle, nor ferry service Bellingham to Vancouver
- Reservations for the ferry to Alaska must be made well in advance to ensure space
Located 30 minutes south of the US / Canada Peace Arch border and 90 minutes north of Seattle, Bellingham is a wonderful place to visit even if not catching a ferry to Alaska.
Challenging golf courses, antique shops, galleries, great shopping, fabulous hotels, Inns and B&Bs all contribute to make scheduling time in Bellingham worthwhile
Note that reservations are required for all ferries departing from Bellingham to to Alaska. Bellingham ferries to Victoria BC have been discontinued.
General Information: Land - Sea - Air
Info for RVs / Campers:
Travelling to Alaska by ferry
Bellingham to Alaska by ferry
Avis is located at both the Bellingham- Alaska ferry terminal & at the Bellingham airport
Daily coach service providing frequent scheduled trips to/from downtown Seattle and Sea-Tac Airport
Dedicated to responsible wildlife viewing this 3hr narrated tour uses certified coast guard vessels
Bellingham ferry passengers bound for the Alaska cities of Anchorage, Fairbanks or Denali can shorten their drive time by taking the direct ferry from Bellingham to Whittier or Bellingham to Ketchikan or Juneau and then transferring to a Cross-Gulf ferry to Cordova, Whittier or Valdez